Grilled Pound Cake is Quick and Easy
Pound Cake is, by its very nature, quite buttery and rich. Toasting it on the grill seems to accentuate those attributes, making it even better. Purchased pound cake can be used, but homemade will elevate this grilled pound cake even further. See Tips for an outrageous bacon version of our grilled pound cake.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1, 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice (drained)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 slices of pound cake, homemade or purchased
- Have your grill going at a medium heat. If you have a temperature gauge, aim for a range of 325°F to 375°F. Have rack(s) set at both a direct and an indirect position.
- Place butter in 9-inch cast-iron skillet and cook over direct heat to melt butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until combined and sugar begins to melt. Add the pineapple and toss to coat. Continue to cook for several (might take up to 10 minutes), stirring often, until fruit begins to caramelize a little bit and the butter/sugar mixture thickens and creates a glaze. Add maple syrup, toss to coat and cook a few minutes more until maple syrup incorporates into the glaze. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Cook pound cake slices on each side over indirect heat until grill marks form; this will go quickly, about 1 minute per side.
- Place a piece of pound cake on each plate and top with warm sauce. Serve immediately. A scoop of vanilla ice cream puts it over the top.
- Prepare our Cream Cheese Pound Cake but fold in 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, into batter before scraping into pan. Bake as directed.