Creamy, Warm Nutella for Your Favorite Fruit and Cake
Nutella – that wonderful, sweet, creamy hazelnut and cocoa spread – makes a rich, smooth fondue when combined with heavy cream. It makes the perfect dunk for grilled fruit and pound cake. Try other fruits too, such as chunks of banana or pineapple. The cake could be switched to sponge cake or angel food cake. Consider this a rough framework for dipping and dunking. The grill, especially when you use hardwood, lends a smoky flavor that elevates this to extra special. The recipe can be scaled up or down as needed.
Nutella Fondue with Grilled Fruit and Cake Kebobs
Author: Dédé Wilson
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 8 medium strawberries
- 8 seedless grapes, red, green or purple
- 8 cubes of pound cake (frozen is fine)
- Have your grill going at a medium heat. If you have a temperature gauge, aim for a range of 350°F to 375°F. Have racks set to a direct and an indirect position.
- Place the Nutella and cream in a small bowl and whisk until as smooth as possible; they might not quite come together before heating. Scrape into a small saucepan that can go on the grill and set on indirect area. Close grill and allow to heat up, whisking occasionally, until smooth and hot.
- Meanwhile, thread the fruit and cake onto skewers and place on direct grill rack and heat quickly just until cake takes on some grill marks, flip over and cook the other side. You can close grill for a few moments as you cook the skewers, but you must keep an eye as these cook fast.
- Serve immediately. I suggest pouring fondue in small individual cups and give everyone a skewer and a fork. Use fork to remove items from the skewer and then use to pierce and dip each piece of fruit or cake into the fondue.
- You can microwave the Nutella and cream together or heat inside on the stovetop if you like.
No comments yet.