Sweet Potato Rolls That Are Diabetes Friendly
We often hear about the diabetic epidemic in the U.S. and while the numbers are vast we rarely hear some good news. The folks at Taste of Home have put together a collection of diabetes friendly recipes. So instead of thinking about what you or your loved ones can’t eat, look at what they can enjoy! These Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls would be welcomed on any dinner table as would the Swedish Apple Pie.
Excerpted with permission of the publisher.Taste of Home Diabetes Family Friendly Cookbook: Eat What You Love and Feel Great! (Taste of Home Books)
Mashed sweet potatoes add a hint of color and flavor to these home-baked dinner rolls. The tempting golden knots have a tender texture as well as a lovely look from a sprinkling of sesame seeds. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, butter, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie each rope into a loose knot. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
No comments yet.