Chocolate Mango Pound Cake
This Chocolate Mango Pound Cake is from Senegal: Modern Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowlby Pierre Thiam with Jennifer Sit along with the Coconut-Lime-Palm Ice Cream. This is a rustic cake, as you can see in the image, and I love the fact that it is allowed – and even celebrated – in its simplicity. Nothing fancy, just an amazingly moist tropical flavor from the mangoes made rich with chocolate and Greek yogurt. Do heed the author’s recommendation about type of mango. They are not all created the same.
From Senegal: Modern Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowlby Pierre Thiam with Jennifer Sit © Pierre Thiam Accompanying photos © Evan Sung
This rich, moist mango cake is one of my favorite desserts during the rainy season in Senegal, when it seems as if mangoes are growing from every other tree, yet I can never get enough of them.
- ¹⁄³ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe mango (preferably the less-stringy champagne variety)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup plain full-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Grease an 81/2 by 41/2-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, and salt. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light, about 5 minutes. Add the mango and vanilla and beat, until just combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the egg. Slowly beat in the flour mixture; stop mixing as soon as it’s combined. Add the yogurt and mix just until it’s incorporated, about 5 seconds. Fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake on the center rack for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack and serve.