Whole-Wheat Oatmeal & Honey Cakes
Yvette van Boven has brought us Home Baked, a huge tome on baking that includes wonderful homey dishes like these Whole-Wheat Oatmeal & Honey Cakes and her Homemade Nutella. Hearty with oats and whole-wheat flour, moist with buttermilk, honey and coconut oil, these are way more than muffins and will keep you happily sated for hours. The book is one that you could pour over for hours, reading recipes, musing over her illustrations (see the Nutella recipe) and looking at pictures – Yvette divides her time between Amsterdam and Paris and the books showcases her time in Ireland as well as Paris. You will immediately see from her approach how relaxed she is in the kitchen and she will encourage you to get in there, too.
Excerpted with permission.Home Baked, by Yvette van Boven. Published by Abrams Books, 2015. Photographs by Oof Verschuren
Prep: 7 min.
Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups (175 g) quick oats
- 11⁄2 cups (175 g) whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 3⁄4 tsp sea salt
- scant 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup (125 g) honey
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) coconut oil, melted (or another type like canola or sunflower oil), plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 12 small ramekins (or a 12-cup muffin pan).
- In a bowl, combine the oats with the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Beat the buttermilk with the honey and oil using an electric beater or a whisk. Then, while beating, add the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and beat into a smooth, even batter.
- Divide the batter among the 12 ramekins and bake for about 20 minutes, until a bamboo skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool, then turn out of the ramekins.