Love pumpkin pie? Love nuts? This recipe was inspired by our love of both. The walnut crust is the perfect compliment to the traditional pumpkin filling. The praline topping gives just the right amount of crunch and final nutty flavor as well!
Walnut-Crusted Pumpkin Pie with Nut Topping
Author: Marjolaine Belley
- Walnut pie crust
- Makes 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, very finely chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons ice water
- For the filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk OR 1 cup half and half.
- For the walnut topping:
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (and/or pecans if desired)
- Instructions for crust: In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons cold water using a fork. Dough should form a soft ball; add more water as necessary.
- Flatten dough into a disk shape, wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until colder- about 30 minutes. This dough keeps well, up to 2 days. The walnut flavor will only be enhanced if you make this pie dough 2 days ahead!
- When dough is cold enough to roll out, flour a clean work surface and roll out dough to a circle 9.5 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9-inch diameter pie dish. Crimp edges as desired.
- Instructions for pie: In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugars, salt and spices until smooth. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. NOTE: About 15 minutes before pie is ready to come out, add walnut topping, see below. Remove pie from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve, cooled, with whipped cream topping.
- Walnut topping: Make the Walnut topping by combining all ingredients except for walnut together until crumbly. Mix in walnuts. Sprinkle around circumference of pie; return pie to oven for about 10 minutes until nut topping is golden.
- You can make the walnut pastry up to 1 week ahead of time! Walnut topping can also be prepared far in advance.