Classic Frozen Hot Chocolate Made Vegan Friendly
You can read about my homage to the original Frozen Hot Chocolate but I didn’t want to leave you vegans out! This drink is just too damn good! Coconut whipped cream tops off an almond milk and chocolate slushy delight. You could use coconut milk for the main part as well, but that makes this even richer than it needs to be.
- 3 tablespoons vegan sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons natural cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 ½ cups cold almond milk, divided
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 cups ice cubes
- Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
- Easy Chocolate Curls
- Place 2 tablespoons of the sugar and both cocoas in a saucepan and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in about ½ cup of the almond milk until blended and smooth. Add all 3 chopped chocolates and melt gently over low heat, whisking frequently. It will look like a chocolate sauce. Scrape into an airtight container and chill at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. The mixture will thicken, which is okay. Chill your glasses and have nice, wide straws handy (such as bubble tea straws).
- Right before serving whip the coconut cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until soft peaks form; set aside. Place remaining 1 cup of almond milk in bottom of blender, then add chocolate mixture and top with ice. Blend on high until everything is combined and slushy. Pour into chilled glasses and top with whipped cream, then top with chocolate shavings. Serve immediately with straws.
Image: Peter Muka