Learn How to Chop Nuts – and Keep Them From Rolling on the Floor!
Learning how to chop nuts is a basic need for any cook or baker. The standard technique for chopping nuts, praline and brittle is to place them on a cutting board and use a heavy large knife to chop them into pieces.
A simpler and easier method is to place the nuts in a resealable plastic bag, press out any excess air, seal tightly and then tap with a rolling pin until the nuts are broken into medium or small-sized pieces.
- Nuts stay inside the bag rather than flying off the cutting board.
- The clear bag allows you to see the nuts and monitor their size while tapping with the rolling pin.
- There is absolutely no clean up, other than tossing the bag in the trash after using the nuts.
Use chopped nuts:
- As a topping on ice cream sundaes
- In a filling for nut pies, tarts and baklava
- In crusts for cheesecakes, ice cream pies and fruit crostatas
- Mixed into cookie dough
- Mixed into brownie batter
- Mixed into streusel toppings for coffee cakes and fruit crisps
Use chopped praline and brittle:
- As a topping for ice cream
- Sprinkled over chocolate mousse or pudding
- Pressed onto the sides of your favorite frosted cake to add crunch
Image: Sarah Tenaglia