A Sweet Take on Fried Vidalia Onions Rings
You have never had fried Vidalia onion rings like this. These onion rings have a sweet, spiced batter and are served with a bourbon honey caramel dipping sauce. As an option toss half of them with cinnamon-sugar as you would any fruit fritter. Genius, if we do say so ourselves. One of our testers said these are perfect “fair food” and that was an apt description as they work very well as a snack. Or, served with pork dishes we say, load up the plate.
Sweet and Savory Fried Vidalia Onion Rings with Salted Bourbon Honey Caramel Dipping Sauce
Author: Dédé Wilson
Makes: Makes 24 to 30 onion rings
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Vidalia onions, peeled and cut into ¼-inch to ½-inch rings
- Canola oil for frying plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg, separated
- ¾ to 1 cup milk
- Have caramel sauce warmed and fluid and ready to serve.
- For the Cinnamon-Sugar: Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a small mixing bowl and place near fryer.
- For the Onion Rings: Have rings sliced and separated into individual rings.
- Heat at least 3-inches of oil in fryer or deep pot to 365°F, reserving 1 tablespoon of oil for the batter. (I used a Lodge cast-iron Dutch oven).
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolk, ¾ cup of milk and 1 tablespoon oil and add to dry mixture, stirring gently until a few floury streaks remain. Whip egg white in a clean bowl until soft peaks form and fold into batter. If batter is too thick (you want to thinly coat the onion rings) add a bit more milk.
- Dip the rings one at a time into the batter and allow excess to drip back into the bowl. Fry until golden, about 1 or 2 minutes, flip over and fry second side until golden. Drain well on paper towels. Toss in Cinnamon-Sugar while hot, if desired. Leave some plain for dipping with caramel sauce.
- Serve immediately with warm Salted Bourbon Honey Caramel Sauce.
No comments yet.