Hot Chocolate as Aphrodisiac
Mmmm hot chocolate. Admittedly there are many versions and depending on our mood we might opt for one over another. Some are thick with heavy cream; some are even made with water, which while thinner allows the chocolate flavors to really pop. This recipe is about accentuating chocolate’s aphrodisiac properties by adding even more aphrodisiacs to the mix: chile, cinnamon and honey.
This serves 2; just right for you and your special someone. For additional takes on aphrodisiacs, try our Pomegranate Meringues with Honey and Liqueur Infused Chocolate Dipped Strawberries. You can also watch Dédé make this luscious recipe at Better.tv. The image below was taken on the set during our taping.
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% - 70%), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ⅛ to ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- Whipped Cream, lightly sweetened, optional
- Extra finely chopped chocolate, optional
- Place milk, cream, chocolate, cocoa, smallest amount of chile powder, cinnamon and honey in a saucepan and heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Taste and adjust chile as desired. Watch for scorching. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until chocolate is melted and mixture thickens a bit. Take off heat, whisk in vanilla. (If you want a frothy head as pictured, whisk vigorously. It is also lovely left creamy; your choice). Pour into mugs and serve immediately, garnished with cinnamon stick, whipped cream and/or an extra sprinkling of chopped chocolate if you like.
Below you can see a version all frothed up. Creamy or frothy. Your choice.