Pavlovas are light by definition, created from cloud-like meringue, fruit and whipped cream. The vinegar adds a slight chew to the otherwise crisp meringue shell. A lovely summer dessert from Amber Rose. Make sure to use unsprayed roses.
This is definitely a firm favorite of mine and, for me, scattering rose petals on top is an absolute must—this dessert is not just for the palate, it’s for the soul, something to be made with love for a very special occasion.
Love, Bake, Nourish by Amber Rose © 2014 Kyle Books, and the photographs © Ali Allen.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 large free-range egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water, or to taste
- ½ cup pistachios, plus extra to decorate, finely chopped
- A few rose petals, to decorate
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, or to taste
- 3 cups (14oz) strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mark on it a circle 10 inches in diameter.
- Mix the cornstarch and vinegar until thoroughly combined and lump-free. In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, alternating with small amounts of the vinegar mix, until everything is thoroughly combined. The meringue should be thick, smooth and glossy. Fold in the rose water and half the pistachio nuts.
- Using a large spoon, mound the mixture a spoonful at a time just inside the circle on your parchment paper, then add another layer if you need more height. Last, fill the center, thus creating a large nest-like shape with beautiful swirls. (Use your finger, if you like, to create extra flicks and shapes.) Sprinkle on the remaining pistachios.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately turn down the oven to 200°F. Bake the meringue for 2 hours. It is done when the outside is crispy, and when tapped, the bottom should be firm. Turn off the oven but leave the door slightly ajar and allow the meringue to cool in the oven.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the cream until soft peaks form, then fold in the vanilla extract and confectioners’ sugar to taste. Hull the strawberries and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size.
- Place the meringue on a serving plate, spoon the cream into the center, cover with the strawberries, and sprinkle with rose petals and chopped pistachios. Enjoy with all your favorite people.