Rice pudding is very versatile. It is creamy and mild with a pleasant chew, and while you may have never thought about using it to create a fancy layered dessert, this comfort food can be transformed into something striking and interesting enough for a dinner party. Here we have combined the rice pudding with applesauce as well as whipped cream.
Image: Dédé Wilson
- 1 recipe Creamy Rice Pudding
- 3 cups applesauce, unsweetened or lightly sweetened, homemade or purchased
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For the Pudding: Prepare Creamy Rice Pudding as described. Have pudding still in pot that it was prepared in. Let cool to room temperature.
- For Assembly: Simply alternate layers – pudding, applesauce, pudding - in goblets. Puddings may be refrigerated overnight at this point covered with plastic wrap.
- For the Whipped Cream Topping: Whip cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Top puddings with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon immediately before serving.
- The look of this dish entirely depends on very careful layering and use of clear glassware. Use a small spoon and take your time as you create each layer. Add the pudding/applesauce to the center bottom of the glass and then use the tip of the spoon to push it out towards the edges – just make sure not to touch the inside of the glass with the food or spoon as you reach into it, or you will make smudges on the glass.