Rainbow Cookies from Saveur
I grew up in NYC and while many people associate these cookies with the winter holidays, the Italian bakeries in my neck of the woods always offered these year-round. They perk up a cookie tray like no other. The colors are what draw the eye, but truth be told, their taste would sometimes disappoint. This version from Saveur Best Cookiespumps up the flavor and texture with a moist almond filling, high quality raspberry preserves and good quality chocolate. Your mouth watering yet? The editors at Saveur take you through the assembly technique step-by-step so that you can create these vivid little cake-like cookies at home. You might also like their recipe for Chocolate-Dipped Pistachio Florentines.
Excerpted with permission. Best Cookiesby Saveur. Published by Weldon Owen 2013.
These moist, cakelike layered treats make a colorful addition to a holiday cookie tray.
- 11⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 2 cups flour, plus more for pans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12.5-oz. can almond pastry filling, such as Solo brand
- 4 eggs
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 12-oz. jar seedless raspberry jam
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease three 9” x 13” baking pans, dust them with flour, and line them with parchment paper; set aside. Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add pastry filling; beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour; beat until just combined. Evenly divide batter into 3 bowls. Add green food coloring to one bowl, red food coloring to the second bowl, and yellow food coloring to the third bowl; stir colorings into batters. Using an offset spatula, spread each batter as smoothly and evenly as possible into a prepared baking pan. Bake the cakes until just beginning to brown on top, about 10 minutes. Let cool, and then invert cakes onto wire racks.
- Heat jam in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until smooth; let cool slightly. Place green cake on a cutting board or foil-lined baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread half the jam over the green cake; top with the yellow cake. Spread the remaining jam over the yellow cake; top with the red cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Trim cake edges to form an even-sided block. Slice the block crosswise into 11⁄2”-wide segments; transfer the segments to a cutting board. Using an offset spatula, spread chocolate over top, sides, and ends of each segment until completely covered; refrigerate until chocolate is set. Slice each segment crosswise into squares and serve.
Baking Tip from Saveur:
Because these cakes are so thin, use an offset spatula to help you spread the batter into the pans evenly, as it will not even out while it bakes.