Yes, Just like the Drink – In a Cupcake
Mmm these are even better than your favorite PSL beverage. (You did know that “PSL” stands for “pumpkin spice latte” didn’t you?). These soft and moist pumpkin spice cupcakes have brewed coffee in the batter and a sprinkling of instant coffee on top of the pumpkin enhanced cream cheese frosting. Pumpkin pie spice is used throughout – in the cupcakes, frosting and on top. The Pumpkin Spice Latte Candied Pecans are optional but really raise these to exceptional. Going to a bake sale? Leave them out. Going to a party or bringing as a host gift? Definitely include them. Kids and adults love these and you can double the recipe, if you like.
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin purée
- ½ vegetable oil such as canola or pecan oil
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin purée plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 to 2¼ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- For the Cupcakes: Position rack in center of oven. Line 12 cupcake wells with fluted paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt to aerate and combine; set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar, pumpkin purée, oil, coffee, eggs and vanilla. Make a well in the dry mixture, add the wet and whisk well until combined and smooth. Divide in cupcake tins and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick shows a few moist crumbs clinging. Cool pan(s) on rack for 10 minutes, unmold cupcakes and cool them directly on rack.
- For the Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a bowl with electric mixer until very smooth. Beat in pumpkin purée, ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder until blended and smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar in a few batches, beating well and scraping down bowl as needed. Beat until smooth.
- Make sure cupcakes are cooled. Top with frosting and then a sprinkling of more pumpkin pie spice and instant coffee. Adorn with candied pecans, if using. Cupcakes are ready to eat or may be stored in airtight container at cool room temperature for up to 2 days.
Images: Dédé Wilson