Nice, slightly almond flavored pumpkin and banana cake but the cooking method is like to make pudding. The texture of this dish is very moist and soft which is why I named it pudding cake. Top with maple syrup and sliced almond.
Pumpkin Banana Pudding Cake
- 2 Large Bananas
- 1 can (15 oz) Pumpkin Pie filling
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 4 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Peel bananas and cut each banana into small pieces then put into a bowl of stand mixer. Put eggs and pumpkin pie filling to the bowl. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until well blended and smooth.
- In the meantime, heat almond milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. When the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat and stir in cinnamon. Then pour into the pumpkin mixture bowl. Mix to combine. Put the mixture into lightly buttered 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Cover the top with aluminum foil.
- In a deep large baking dish such as 13-by-9-by-3-inch baking dish or baking pan, put about 1.5 cups of hot water (hot water should be about 2 inch height up to the loaf pan), put the loaf pan into the baking dish (Do not put the hot water into the loaf pan) and put into the oven. Bake for 50 minutes. (While pudding is baking, check at least once to see if the hot water is in the baking dish. If the hot water is almost gone, add more hot water)
- About 5 minutes before the pudding is almost done, make sauce. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced almonds to the skillet and sauté about for 2 minutes coating the sliced almonds with melted butter well. Turn off the heat and stir in maple syrup. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 50 minutes later, take the loaf pan out of the oven, remove aluminum foil and put the sauce on top. Return the loaf pan into the oven and bake (uncover) for another 10 minutes (Add hot water if necessary) until toothpick inserted in center of the pudding comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until chilled.
- Don't forget to check the oven while the pudding cake is baking. If you don't see enough hot water in the baking dish, add the hot water.