We love this polenta cake for its rustic, yet elegant, simplicity. The texture of the cornmeal lends a slightly savory note complemented beautifully by the juicy berries. The recipe is from Amazing Grains by Ghillie James as are the Chocolate Dipped Chewy Cookies and the Thai Sticky Rice with Mango. The book is filled with classic and new ways with grains, including these delectable sweets.
Excerpted from Amazing Grains: From Classic to Contemporary, Wholesome Recipes for Every Day by Ghillie James, published by Kyle Books, 2014. Photography by Jonathan Gregson.
- 11/2 sticks soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup ricotta or plain yogurt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 1 cup fine-ground polenta
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 51/2oz blueberries
- 51/2oz raspberries
- 31/2oz raspberries
- 31/2oz blueberries
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 320°F. Grease and line a 9in loose-bottomed, deep cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the ricotta or yogurt, the lemon zest, and 1 egg and beat, then beat in a second egg and then a third. Fold in the polenta, almond flour, and baking powder, followed by the berries.
- Turn into the cake pan and smooth over, then bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Leave for 10 minutes before turning out of the pan. Top with the extra berries and a dusting of confectioners’ sugar and serve warm or cool with a dollop of whipped cream.