Nutella in Rice Krispie Treats
Ah, Nutella, how many new ways will we think to use you? Hopefully many! While playing with the concept of adding peanut butter to classic Rice Krispie treats (see the Tips in our Cappuccino Crispy Treats recipe), it occurred to us to try Nutella. Many of our cereal treats are very kid oriented, like the Kix Marshmallow Treat Balls, and we needed another adult friendly recipe like our aforementioned Cappuccino ones. Why not, we thought, add lightly toasted hazelnuts for a more sophisticated riff on the classic Rice Krispie Treat marshmallow cereal bar. Presenting Nutella Ganache Rice Krispie Treats.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ¼ cups skinned hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup lightly toasted skinned hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 ¼ cup Nutella
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, such as Ghirardelli or Callebaut
- For the Caramelized Hazelnuts: Line one rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and coat with nonstick spray; set aside. Stir the sugar and water together in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat, swirling the pan once or twice, but do not stir. Cook until sugar is caramelized and has turned a medium golden brown. Stir in hazelnuts until coated, then immediately scrape out onto prepared pan. Cool; the caramelized nuts will harden. Break off pieces, place on cutting board and use large chef’s knife to chop finely; set aside. This can be done up to four days ahead; store in airtight container at room temperature.
- For the Bars: Coat a heatproof bowl with nonstick spray; place cereal in bowl. Coat a large silicone spatula with nonstick spray as well. Line an 8-inch square pan with plastic wrap and coat with nonstick spray and set all of these aside.
- Melt butter in medium pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows and melt over medium heat, stirring frequently. When marshmallows are about three-quarters melted add the espresso powder and cinnamon and stir vigorously until marshmallows are completely melted and espresso dissolves. Immediately scrape mixture on top of cereal and use coated spatula to fold and combine. Scrape into prepared pan (allow to cool briefly if too hot) and use damp fingers to press down into an even layer. Allow to sit until firm and set, about an hour, or hasten this process by refrigerating briefly (about 15 minutes).
- For the Ganache: Melt Nutella and chocolate together in top of double boiler or in microwave safe bowl (if you are familiar with your microwave). Stir until smooth and scrape on top of bars and use a small offset spatula to spread evenly. While still moist, sprinkle caramelized hazelnuts on top and gently press into the ganache.
- Refrigerate briefly until ganache firms, about 15 minutes. Pull up on plastic wrap and remove bars from pan. Set bars on work surface and peel plastic away. Cut into rectangles of desired size. Best served the same day but may be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
No comments yet.