Snickerdoodles are Classic Cinnamon Topped Sugar Cookies
Lei Shishak has taken Snickerdoodles to a new level in her new book, Beach House Baking. They are an easy, classic drop cookie. A glorified sugar cookie really, always sporting a sparkly sugary cinnamon topping. Lei adds cinnamon to both the batter and the topping and recommends Indonesian cinnamon, which is particularly aromatic. You read more about various kinds of Cinnamon in our Encyclopedia.
Excerpted with permission from Beach House Baking: An Endless Summer of Delicious Dessertby Lei Shishak. Photographs by Chau Vuong. Copyright 2014, Skyhorse Publishing.
One of the most incredible beach getaways has to be to the island of Bali. While there, a can’t miss experience is an authentic Bali beachside cinnamon scrub. The intoxicating aroma of cinnamon surrounding you during this spa treatment is perfectly captured by my Modern Snickerdoodle. To enhance and update my Snickerdoodle’s sweet cinnamon flavor, I blend cinnamon into the cookie dough before baking. As the warm, just baked cookies get tossed in copious amounts of Indonesian cinnamon and sugar, the sounds of the waves lapping at the beach will drown out any other thoughts of this being just an ordinary day.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 11⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground Indonesian cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Indonesian cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add egg and mix until incorporated. Scrape bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared trays (I use a 1-ounce ice cream scoop), and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies feel firm when pressed gently on top. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Toss the warm cookies in the mixture. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
No comments yet.