Vegan Key Lime Pie from Sticky Fingers Bakery
Maybe you know Doron Petersan‘s vegan baked goods from her Washington D.C. bakery or from her appearances (and win!) on Cupcake Wars? Or maybe you frequent their Seoul Korea branches? This smart cookie has taken her delectable vegan goodies across the globe and now we have them here. This vegan Key Lime Pie uses key lime juice and vegan cream cheese as a base nestled inside her graham cracker crust. Check out her Choco Raspberry Dream cake, too. Both are from her book Sticky Fingers’ Sweets.
Excerpted with permission. Sticky Fingers’ Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipesby Doron Petersan. Published by Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2014
Can you hear it? Can you hear the sounds of the ocean, feel the warm breeze, and enjoy the sweet-tart taste of Key West’s claim to fame?
- 6 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended:
- Earth Balance)
- 1½ cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (1.75 ounces) sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup key lime juice, fresh or bottled (recommended: Nellie and Joe’s)
- 2 cups non-hydrogenated vegan cream cheese (recommended: Tofutti), softened
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the margarine.
- In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar.
- Add the melted margarine and stir to combine.
- Press the crust mixture into a 9-inch spring-form pan or glass pie dish, making sure the mixture is pressed evenly across the bottom of the pan or dish. Do not push the crust up the sides of the spring-form.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before using.
- For the Filling: Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan that’s at least 1 ½ inches deep.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, dissolve the cornstarch in the lime juice over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the cream cheese with the paddle attachment until soft and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, and cream together until smooth and fluffy, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the thickened lime juice mixture and the vanilla to the cream cheese mixture, and mix until combined and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.