Raw Pie Featuring Cocoa, Brazil Nuts and Dates
Rawsome Vegan Bakingby Emily von Euw is a great intro to raw desserts because this girl knows her way around the raw kitchen. Her desserts are enticing and decadent while being simple to prepare at the same time. Don’t be put off by the several components. They all come together quite quickly and easily. Also check out her Chia Vanilla Pudding with Cinnamon & Raisins and our interview.
Excerpted and adapted with permission. Rawsome Vegan Baking: An Un-cookbook for Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Beautiful and Sinfully Sweet Cookies, Cakes, Bars & Cupcakesby Emily von Euw. Published by Page Street Publishing Copyright 2014. Photos by Emily von Euw.
Its cacao apart, I imagine monkeys would love this pie; they dig bananas and coconuts and so do I. That rhyme wasn’t intentional; I can’t lie. Okay, I’ll stop now. This recipe is practically overflowing with super-healthy fats, energy-giving nutrients, big flavor and unrefined love. Drizzle it with some chocolate sauce to complete the bliss experience! Rub it on your face for a moisturizing scrub! Or just eat.
- 1 cup (133 g) raw Brazil nuts
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) cacao powder
- 1 cup (175 g) pitted dates
- 2 to 3 bananas
- 3 cups (255 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (85 g) agave nectar
- ¼ cup (59 ml) melted coconut oil
- ½ cup (60g) cacao powder or carob powder
- ½ cup (118 ml) melted cacao butter or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup (115 g) preferred liquid sweetener
- TO MAKE THE CRUST: Pulse the nuts into powder in your food processor. Add the cacao and dates and process until it all begins to stick together. Press into a tart or pie pan and refrigerate.
- TO MAKE THE COCONUT LAYER: Process 2 cups of the coconut into a coconut butter–like consistency. It will take several minutes and doesn’t have to be totally smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it all combines. Slice your bananas and arrange them in the bottom of your crust; scoop on your coconut mixture and pat down, sealing in the bananas. Refrigerate for an hour or two until set.
- TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Then drizzle on the chocolate and go bananas.