We all love traditional pumpkin pie; this is a healthy twist on the tradition! Delicious served with whipped cream and perhaps a apple-cranberry chutney.
Honey Pumpkin Pie with a Nut Crust
Author: Marjolaine Belley
- Pastry for 1 pie crust(see below for ingredients)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon regular ground
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- OR 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- For the nut crust:
- 1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons natural (raw, organic) sugar
- Ingredients for the whipped cream topping:
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (preferably organic)
- 4 teaspoons natural sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the pie: Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Trim and flute edges; set aside. In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, honey, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add the eggs, evaporated milk and milk. Pour into crust. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
- Serve with whipped cream! (see recipe below)
- For the nut crust: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Instructions for Topping: In a small pan, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick.
- Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat; cool (do not allow it to set).
- Whip the cream with the sugar, until slightly thick.
- While slowly beating, add the gelatin to whipping cream. Add vanilla.
- Whip at high speed until stiff.