Guinness, Bailey’s and Irish Whiskey in a Chocolate Cupcake
Our blogger friend Erin from fatgirlinskinnyjeans is at it again with a timely, Guinness and Bailey’s laden cupcake. And there is Whiskey in there too. Need we point out that these are for adults only.
Get ready for St. Patrick’s Day.
So many great things start to happen this time of year. Is it the luck o’ the Irish? Or perhaps just how things work themselves out? Either way, the snow is starting to consider going away for the long haul, the sun is deciding to come out of hiding, and all great things are beginning again! And THAT, my friends, is a beautiful thing! The first sign of this is of course, St. Paddy’s Day! It’s our first holiday heading into spring and is celebrated by getting people back outside to parade around in their drunken silliness and being merry! I personally rang this one in wearing mismatched green knee-highs and a Guinness in each hand, with the ever-necessary “feelin’ lucky?” green tee. My town’s parade was a tad bit early. This is great for you though, because I got to practice with my recipe before your parade hits!
Julia Child once said, “a party without a cake is just a meeting.” Brilliant. God I wish I knew her. I feel like we would be best friends. Or at the very least we’d eat delicious food together because I’d invite myself over, and eat all of her creations. Ya know, I’m thinking meetings should have cake too. Because really, who enjoys meetings?! So many people would if they all involved cake.
St. Paddy’s day is upon us people! I hope you know what this means. Meetings. Meetings with corned beef and cabbage, a Paddy’s Day staple, Guinness, a staple of any good day, and of course Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes! Get. In. My. Belly. Don’t worry, eating these delicious liquor ridden cakes of yummy goodness is completely acceptable in any forum, because really it’s just cake.
Dig in and drink up!
-Erin – the Fat Girl in Skinny Jeans
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups Pastry Flour
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon Whiskey of choice
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup Baileys
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bring Guinness and butter to simmer. Add dark cocoa powder. Whisk together and allow to cool. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and sour cream. Add to Guinness mixture. Then, in a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and sea salt. Add to chocolatey Guinness batter.
- Line your muffin tins with festive papers and scoop batter into tins, filling each cup ⅔. They will grow! I always give the tops of the tins a spray with coconut oil spray or the like, just in case the cupcakes grow over the tops. Don’t want them to stick!
- Bake for 17-20 min. or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cupcake. Make sure you’re aware of any “hot spots” in your oven, rotate halfway through.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make your ganache filling. Melting down your chocolate and butter, with the heavy cream and whiskey. Add the whiskey afterwards when cooled for a stronger taste.
- Add ganache to cupcake when still warm OR cooled. Up to you! I push a little scoop into the cupcake while still in the pan, add the ganache and all to cool there.
- Frosting – Cut butter into ½” pieces, beat until smooth, then add powdered sugar, sea salt, and Baileys. Beat until creamy.
- Don’t frost your cupcakes until completely cooled!!
- Bottoms up!
- Store in a sealed container, in a cool, dry environment. Will keep up to 3 days before becoming dry.