Natural Gummy Candies
I have a thing for gummy candy. In fact I take gummy vitamins, just so I can “cheat” and have my vitamins and candy everyday. This recipe for natural gummy candies from Robyn Youkilis and her book Go With Your Gutmeans we don’t have to sneak around with our gummy candy fixation. Her gummy candy is made with real fruit and protein rich gelatin. And you can make these year round with frozen blueberries and or raspberries. Try her take on a healthful Chocolate Cake as well.
Excerpted with permission. Go with Your Gut, by Robyn Youkilis. Published by Kyle Books, 2016.
I don’t know why, but there’s something I just LOVE about gummies. But have you ever looked at the ingredients on the back of a box of fruit snacks or gummies?! Gross! That’s why I whipped up these “good gut” gummies. Gelatin is great for healing your gut as it helps to restore a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach and reduce the amount of inflammation in the body. It’s also a pure source of protein, boosts metabolism, and reduces heartburn and acid reflux.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or raspberries (or a mix of the two)
- ¾ cup fresh lemon or lime juice (or a mix of the two)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey (generally 2 for adults,
- 3 for kids)
- ¼ cup unflavored Great Lakes Gelatin
- Add the berries to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the berries and allow them to cook until the liquid is steaming and the berries are plump, about 6-10 minutes.
- Place the lemon or lime juice, honey, and berries into a high-speed blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Remove the lid and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add the gelatin to the blender and blend again until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into candy molds, or a 9 °— 9-inch baking dish, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once the gummies have set, remove them from the molds or slice them into desired shapes and store in the refrigerator.
This recipe looks really good! How does it taste?
I have not had them but I am a BIG fan of gummy things…like my gummy vitamins I take everyday! Let us know if you give these a try!