This is a really tasty variation of our basic Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookie, seen below on the right. The choice of white chocolate and coffee make or break these cookies. Make sure both are of high quality and that the coffee is as freshly ground as possible. For a more typical chocolate chunk cookie option featuring these flavors, check out our Espresso White Chocolate Cookies.
Images: Peter Muka
- 2⅓ cups King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground coffee, fine grind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 12 ounces white chocolate chunks (1/4-inch to ½-inch pieces), such as El Rey Icoa or Callebaut
- Whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, the xanthan gum, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until creamy with an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Add in the brown sugar and sugar and continue beating until visibly lightened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the ground coffee and vanilla extract, then beat in the eggs one at a time allowing each one to be absorbed before adding the next. Beat in the dry mixture until just a few streaks of flour remain. Add chocolate and beat just until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or scrape onto a large piece of plastic wrap, wrap it up airtight and chill at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Form golf ball sized cookies (try a #40 Zerroll scoop) and drop them evenly spaced, 8 per sheet pan. Do not press them down.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and firmer than the centers, which should be soft to preserve their chewiness. The cookies firm up a lot upon cooling. Cool cookies completely on pans set on racks. Cookies are best served the same day but may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.