Dark, Rich, Creamy, Decadent Chocolate Frosting
This is not based on actual fudge, but it is loaded with chocolaty, fudgy flavor. For a lighter chocolate frosting, use the chocolate variation of Italian Meringue Buttercream; for even darker, richer chocolate frosting use a ganache. Like all confectioners’ sugar based frostings the texture can be adjusted by adding more confectioners’ sugar for a thicker texture, or more milk to thin it out.
- ½ cup (1stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, divided (plus extra as needed)
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk (plus extra as needed)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (plus extra as needed)
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup sugar gradually, beating until beginning to combine, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Add remaining sugar, melted chocolate, vanilla, milk and cream and beat on high speed until completely smooth and creamy. Frosting is now ready to use. Best if used immediately; may be refrigerated in an airtight container for 4 days. (Bring to room temperature and re-beat after storing).
Image: Dédé Wilson