This Florentine Chocolate Tart from Saveur: Italian Comfort Foodcombines a simple crumb crust and a chocolate ganache filling. The textural contrast of crumbly and crunchy and silky smooth is one reason this dessert is befitting of the term “comfort food”. Ganache tarts abound; this one uses whole-wheat biscuits for the crust. The somewhat savory crumbs are a sophisticated change from a simple graham cracker approach. Make sure to use bittersweet chocolate and allow chilling time. Prep time is brief making this a great dessert that is part of a more complicated menu. Make sure to check out the Sant’Antonio Apple Tart from the same book.
Excerpted with permission from Saveur: Italian Comfort Food, by the editors of Saveur. Published by Weldon Owen, 2015.
- 2 ½ cups finely crushed whole-wheat biscuits
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 16 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- Whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries, for serving (optional)
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 350°F. Combine crushed biscuits and sugar in a bowl. Add butter and stir until well combined. Transfer crumb mixture to a 10" tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your hands, spread mixture out in an even layer, then use your fingertips to press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form an even crust. Transfer pan to a baking sheet and bake until crust is set and lightly golden in places, about 15 minutes. Set crust aside until completely cool.
- Make the filling: Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water over medium-low, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and set aside. Heat cream in a saucepan over medium until bubbles appear around sides of pan and cream is just about to boil, 8–10 minutes, then remove pan from heat. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk about ¼ cup hot cream into yolks, then stir mixture into pot of hot cream. Gradually add egg mixture to melted chocolate, stirring until well combined and smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust and set aside to cool, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until chocolate is completely set, about 3 hours. Remove outer ring of tart pan. Serve with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.