Sarah Tenaglia has brought us a lavishly photographed book on punches, both spirited and non-alcoholic. Written along with co-author Jeanne Kelley, Punch Bowls and Pitcher Drinksis a small book packed with ideas, inspirational pictures and settings and drinks like classic Red Wine Sangria and Mai Tai Punch to new creations like Kumquat Tangerine Smash that features citrus as well as jalapeno and cilantro and the tequila spiked Rose Geranium Punch. You can search by type of alcohol (there are gin-based punches, bourbon-based, etc.) as well as some of the prettiest ice rings and molds I have ever seen filled with fruits and flowers. This Fifty-Fifty Punch is a non-alcoholic liquid version of a Creamsicle pop. (The 50/50 refers to the fact that flavor-wise it is basically half vanilla ice cream and half orange juice). Also check out the lovely Citrus-Glazed Madeleines that Sarah made for us to be served alongside as well as our newest interview with Sarah.
Excerpted with permission. Punch Bowls and Pitcher Drinks: Recipes for Delicious Big-Batch Cocktailsby Sarah Tenaglia and Jeanne Kelley. Published by Clarkson Potter, 2015. Images by Andrea Bricco.
This classic kid’s punch tastes just like a creamsicle or 50-50 bar. For an adult-only version, add a splash of Grand Marnier and/or a drop of orange flower water, if desired.
- 1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2, ¼-inch thick orange slices, each cut in half
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange peel, divided
- 2 cups chilled sparkling water
- Ice cubes
- 1 pint premium vanilla ice cream
- Mix orange juice concentrate, orange slices and 2 teaspoons orange peel in small pitcher until concentrate thaws. Mix in sparkling water. Fill tall glasses with ice. Pour punch over. Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon orange peel. Serve immediately with long spoons and straws.