Cornflake-Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies
Whenever we poll the Bakepedia community as to their favorite baked treats, cookies always come out on top or as one of the top choices. Makes sense. You’ve got portion control, they can be packed easily, eaten on the run and just have that great comfort food vibe. And when it comes to cookies, chocolate chip cookies are by far American’s favorites. As far as we are concerned you can never have enough variations. These Cornflake-Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies are from Buttercream Dreamsby Jeff Martin and include cornflakes and marshmallows as well as some nonfat milk powder, which makes them unusual and delicious. They are crunchy, chewy, sweet and chocolaty all at the same time. You can see in the image how these have that chewy quality so many of us seek that is complemented by the chocolate morsels and the crunch from the cereal bits. Make sure to buy miniature marshmallows; they are the right size for this recipe and melt into perfect little pockets of sweet chewiness. Also check out Martin’s Bubble Gum Cupcakes.
From Buttercream Dreams: Small Cakes, Big Scoops, and Sweet Treatsby Jeff Martin, Andrews McMeel Publishing LLC 2015. Photos by Jenny Wheat.
When you take a bite, you’ll be rewarded with a chewy chocolate chip cookie taste filled with little tiny pockets of marshmallow and finished with a little crunch from the cornflakes. Pure magic.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups cornflakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until creamy. Gradually add the flour mixture in two separate additions, mixing on low until the dough just comes together.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix on low to distribute. Reserve handful of the marshmallows to decorate the cookies and add the remaining marshmallows to the dough, mixing on low until evenly distributed.
- Carefully mix in the cornflakes by hand so they don’t get too crushed. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into golf ball–size balls and place on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Press a marshmallow or two on top of each cookie. Make sure they have ample room to spread out. Bake for 13 minutes, until light brown. Let cool on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.