Classic Madeleines With a Citrus Twist
When Sarah Tenaglia writes a book, I want to read it. Sarah began her career as a pastry chef at Chez Panisse and we crossed paths during her tenure at Bon Appetit magazine where she was food editor and head of the renowned test kitchen. Sarah has an exquisite palate and if she tells me a recipe works – it works. Perfectly. There are not that many people in the world who have that gift. Madeleines are a funny thing.
They are not that hard to make, but details are everything. As with most cookies and small baked goods, over-baking is easy to do and will yield a dry result, so take care with that assessment. Of course the fact that these Citrus-Glazed Madeleines take a dip in a lemon syrup and are coated with an orange glaze help with moistness as well as flavor. Her newest book is Punch Bowls and Pitcher Drinks; check out her orange and vanilla ice cream beverage, the Fifty-Fifty Punch and don’t miss our newest interview with Sarah.
Excerpted with permission. Punch Bowls and Pitcher Drinks: Recipes for Delicious Big-Batch Cocktailsby Sarah Tenaglia and Jeanne Kelley. Published by Clarkson Potter, 2015. Images by Andrea Bricco.
Look for metal Madeleine pans with scallop-shaped indentations, at cookware stores.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, lukewarm
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- For Madeleines: Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush Madeleine pans with melted butter; dust with flour, then tap out excess. Whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add flour and whisk just until blended. Gradually add lukewarm melted butter, whisking just until blended. Let batter stand 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make Orange Syrup and Lemon Glaze: Stir orange juice and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves; mix in orange peel. Set orange syrup aside. Whisk powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel in another small bowl to blend. Set lemon glaze aside.
- Spoon 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of batter into each shell indentation in pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Using tip of sharp knife, gently pry each madeleine from pan and cool slightly. Dip madeleines 1 at a time, shell side facing down into orange syrup. Repeat dipping once more. Turn madeleines, shell side facing up and cool completely on rack. Dip each madeleine shell side facing down in lemon glaze, then turn shell side facing up. Let stand until glaze set, about 2 hours. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store in single layer in airtight container.)