Vegan and GF Version of Your Fave Sandwich Cookie
Following a vegan or GF diet and jonesing for a chocolate sandwich cookie? Blogger Cara Reed has figured it out – we owe her (check out our interview with her,too)! You might know her from her blog Forkandbeans.com but you should also check out her book, Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking. It is jam packed with fab recipes and we have also brought you her Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake with Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust.
Excerpted with permission. Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking: Delicious, Gluten-, Egg- and Dairy-Free Treats and Sweetsby Cara Reed. Published by Page Street Publishing 2014. Photos by Celine Steen.
It is incredible how true-to-the-real-thing this filling is to the original Oreo cookie. The best part about these cookies is getting to twist each end off to see if you can keep the middle filling intact on one cookie side. Of course, they taste better when dunked in a big glass of ice-cold almond milk.
- 2½ c/413 g Cara’s All-Purpose Blend (see Tip)
- ½ c/44 g dark cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp/90 ml maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp/84 g non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 Tbsp/30 ml nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp/22 g unsulphured molasses
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1¼ c/150 g powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp/42 g non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 Tbsp/15 ml nondairy milk
- To make the cookies: Preheat oven to 325°F/170°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix everything but the filling ingredients together with a fork in a medium bowl until dough begins to form. It might be a bit crumbly; simply place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and gently knead until a smooth ball is formed. Roll between 2 pieces of parchment until ¼ inch/6 mm. Cut into circles with 2-inch/5-cm cookie cutter.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to fully cool.
- To make the filling: With an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients until cream becomes thick and smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Using a spatula, scrape the cream into a plastic baggie. Make a small slit in one corner and thickly distribute the cream in a circular motion onto one cookie. Gently sandwich another cookie on top.