You really don’t need to follow a recipe. Just start with about 8 ounces/230 grams of fromage blanc, then sprinkle on spices and herbs, or add diced ham and pineapple, or chopped shrimp and curry powder, or blue cheese and black pepper, or sun-dried tomatoes, or dark chocolate… That’s really all it takes. There are a hundred ways you can go with this. We generally don’t measure, but just season until it tastes good.
As with any fresh cheese, the fresher it is, the better it tastes. These will keep up to 1 week in the fridge, but as they sit, the flavors will get stronger. You want to make them just before serving, if possible.
Sue Conley & Peggy Smith, Cowgirl Creamery Cooks, Chronicle Books (2013). Photography by Hirsheimer & Hamilton.
- 8 oz (230 g) Fromage blanc
- 1 oz (30g) Chunk of dark chocolate
- Pinch Ground espresso beans
- Spread the fromage blanc on a plate. With a microplane grater, grate the dark chocolate over the cheese. Sprinkle the ground espresso beans on top. With a spoon or fork, gently toss the cheese until the mixture is nicely speckled. Serve at room temperature.
- Try this spread on toasted brioche or English muffins for a breakfast you wont soon forget.
- You can make your own fromage blanc or purchase from a local cheese store.