Gluten Free Caramel Popcorn Sundae
If you eat and live gluten-free and are facing an evening of entertaining at home, it can be a challenge to figure out what to serve for dessert. What will satisfy the gluten-free and the gluten tolerant? (I was going to say “the normals” LOL). This Caramel Popcorn Sundae from GF blogger April Peveteaux fits the bill. It is fun, delicious – a conversation starter, even – and believe me, no one is going to notice that it is gluten-free. This recipe and her Almond Scones are from her book, . April also spent some time chatting with us about her approach to GF living in general so don’t miss our interview.
Excerpted with permission from The Gluten-Free Cheat Sheet: Go G-Free in 30 Days or Lessby April Peveteaux. Published by Perigee © 2015.
I first had this popcorn sundae at Gramercy Tavern in New York City. I decided to make my own and tweak it just a little bit to make it gluten-free and easy. It looks great if you’re trying to impress some fancy friends, and it offers a variety of deliciousness in each bit.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups popcorn, popped
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place popped popcorn on baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- In medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup, and heat to boil. Allow to cook without stirring for 3 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat, and add vanilla and salt. Pour mixture over popcorn and distribute evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove and stir. Return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove and cool.
- In tall glass or ice cream sundae glass, layer sundae ingredients. Using ice cream scoop, place 1 small scoop of ice cream in glass. Top with 2 tablespoons of caramel popcorn. Repeat ice cream and popcorn layer. Add whipped cream to your liking, then top with fresh blueberries.
No comments yet.