Can banana bread be decadent, paleo and GF all at the same time – and include caramel? Our Bakepedia friend Dominique has shown us that the answer is YES! Dominique, thank you for the luscious recipe and the picture makes us want to come over to your house right now!
Diced fall apples covered in a rich caramel sauce are layered in between layers of banana bread, are slathered on top of the bread, and are baked to perfection.
Caramel Apple Banana Bread (paleo, GF)
- ¾ cup almond flour/meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey ( I used a very scant ½)
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- ½ cup +1 Tbs coconut cream
- 2 Tbs coconut oil (melted)
- 2 mashed bananas ( this was ½ cup of mashed bananas for me)
- 1 apple, diced (this was a heaping cup-full for me)
- ½ cup of paleo caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a small loaf pan with wax paper.
- Put the 1 cup of diced apples into a small bowl, cover in ½ cup of caramel sauce and set aside.
- In medium bowl 1, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves with a fork. Set the bowl aside.
- In medium bowl 2, mix the eggs, honey, vanilla, and coconut cream with an electric mixer until well mixed. Add the melted coconut oil to the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until well blended. Add the mashed banana to the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until well blended.
- Put bowl 1 into bowl 2 and mix with an electric mixer.
- Pour ½ of the batter into the lined loaf pan and pat down with a metal spoon to make an even layer. Cover in ½ of the diced apples and caramel sauce.
- Pour the other ½ of the batter on top of the apples and caramel and pat down with the back of a metal spoon. Pour the remaining diced apples and caramel sauce on top of the batter and then put the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 65 minutes. Note, the bread may appear wet looking because of the way the caramel sauce cooks, but it will be done in 65 minutes. :)