Sophisticated Rice Krispie Treats? Yes!
These Cappuccino Crispy Treats are an adult riff on the classic Rice Krispie Treat marshmallow cereal bar. When I was a kid they only showed up at bake sales. Not sure why. They are very easy to make and were always quite popular. These days I see them in delis and upscale bakeries and even national coffee house chains offer them next to the lemon loaf.
Here the instant espresso not only cuts down on the sweetness factor, but it offers a caffeine boost as well. Easy to make as the original, but with a lower kiddie -factor.
The drizzled chocolate topping is optional but really eye catching, not to mention tasty. Do use an 8-inch pan as a 9-inch pan will leave your bars too shallow. They look much nicer with a little heft to them.
For additional takes on cereal based treats, check out our S’mores Marshmallow Treats and Kix Marshmallow Treat Balls. You won’t believe how we toast the marshmallows for the s’mores.. Also, read the Tips below for a Peanut Butter Crispy Treat Pop variation.
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, melted, optional
- 1 ounce white chocolate, melted, optional
- Coat a heatproof bowl with nonstick spray; place cereal in bowl. Coat a large silicone spatula with nonstick spray as well. Line an 8-inch square pan with plastic wrap and coat with nonstick spray and set all of these aside.
- Melt butter in medium pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows and melt over medium heat, stirring frequently. When marshmallows are about three-quarters melted add the espresso powder and cinnamon and stir vigorously until marshmallows are completely melted and espresso dissolves. Immediately scrape mixture on top of cereal and use coated spatula to fold and combine. Scrape into prepared pan (allow to cool briefly if too hot) and use damp fingers to press down into an even layer. Allow to sit until firm and set, about an hour, or hasten this process by refrigerating briefly (about 15 minutes).
- Pull up on plastic wrap and remove bars from pan. Set bars on work surface and peel plastic away.
- Scrape melted milk chocolate into a parchment cone, and do the same with the white chocolate in a separate cone. Snip the end of the milk chocolate filled cone and pipe squiggles all over the bars. Repeat with white chocolate. Refrigerate briefly until chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes, then cut into squares. Best served the same day but may be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
In the image above for the Peanut Butter Crispy Treat Pops we added ½ cup creamy peanut butter (not natural style) to the melted butter and marshmallows and eliminated the espresso and cinnamon. Cool the mixture briefly, then use hands to mold small balls about the size of Ping Pong balls. Insert popsicle sticks and allow to cool completely. Dip in melted chocolate or chocolate coating and sprinkle on decorations if desired. Use nonpareils, toffee bits, chocolate sprinkles or even little sugar hearts or other themed shapes.