Bacon and Peaches Together at Last
This is one of those recipes that doesn’t look like it should work. It does. Trust me. Use the time cues and the visual cues and get ready for bacon filled, porky, fruity, sweet and salty amazement. If you like the bacon and fruit combo, check out our Bacon Pineappe Upside Down Cake, too. The peaches, with their luscious texture and sweetness complement the bacon perfectly. Make this for your favorite Dad this coming Father’s Day. I promise it will be a hit.
Bacon Lattice Top Peach Pie
Author: Déde Wilson
Makes: 8 to 10
- Recipe for Single Pie Crust, chilled and ready to roll out
- Peach Filling:
- 3 pounds medium peaches (about 7 large or 8 medium)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
- 12 ounce to 16 ounce package of uncured hickory smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer to pie dish. Fold edge under, crimp decoratively. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For the Filling: Bring medium saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in 3 peaches at a time; blanch 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer peaches to a bowl of cold water. Using small knife, peel each peach. Cut peaches into ½-inch thick slices directly into a large saucepan. Sprinkle sugar over peaches and toss to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until peaches release juices and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. As juices begin to thicken add cream and continue to cook, stirring frequently until peaches are beginning to soften and juices are thick and glossy.
- For the Assembly: Pour warm filling into crust. Weave a lattice using the raw bacon. The bacon will shrink, so cut it to fit but leave some extra on the ends, tucking them under gently about an extra half-inch.
- Cover pie with foil about bake for about 45 minutes, then remove foil and continue to bake until bacon is cooked and browned. If the crust is getting too dark, continue to bake with just the crust covered with foil strips. Cool pie for at least 45 minutes on a rack before serving. Pie is best served the day it is made.
Images: Dédé Wilson
No comments yet.