Bakery Style Apple Danish You Can Make at Home
You might think of apple Danish as one of those bakery-only items but with frozen puff pastry these are actually very easy to make. Golden Delicious apples provide a balanced taste and texture but feel free to experiment with other apples. This recipe is from An Apple a Day as are the Chocolate Apple Cupcakes.
Excerpted with permission from An Apple A Day: 365 Recipes with Creative Crafts, Fun Facts, and 12 Recipes from Celebrity Chefs Inside!by Karen Berman and Melissa Pettito. Published by Race Point Publishing, 2013.
This easy treat combines tender, flaky pastry; sweet, fruity filling; and creamy cheese for a brunch dish you’ll want to eat all day long.
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest, egg, vanilla, and salt; set aside.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apple. Combine the slices with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 3 strips. Cut the strips widthwise to form 6 squares. Lay out the pastry squares on the prepared baking sheet. Divide the cheese mixture among the squares and then top with the apples, layering slices. Fold in 2 corners of each square so they meet in the middle of the pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until golden brown and puffed, about 20 minutes.