American Apple Pie
This vegan Apple Pie will please all pie lovers. Really the only change that author Mary Mattern made was to use vegan margarine in the crust. And she espouses a push-in technique for the crust, so you don’t even need a rolling pin. The filling is as traditional as you can get. This recipe, as well as her Doughnut Holes, are from her book Nom Yourself.
Excerpted with permission. Nom Yourselfby Mary Mattern. Published by Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright 2015. Photos by Mary Mattern.
This is by far my favorite dessert. Put a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream on top and you are good to go. My grandmother taught me to use thick apples growing up, but I prefer to use thinly sliced apples. It gives you a lighter and more tart-like pie.
- 1½ cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more to dust the pie tin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 5 apples of your choice, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Freshly squeezed juice of ½ medium lemon
- 1½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (packed) organic light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sea salt together.
- Add the vegan margarine and mix by hand until the mixture forms into big crumbles.
- Add the water one tablespoon at a time until the pie dough is firm.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the pie filling: In a large bowl, mix the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Dust a 9-inch pie tin with flour. This will keep the bottom and sides of the crust from sticking. Do not use margarine to grease the tin (it will give you a soft bottom crust).
- Place the piecrust in the center of the pie tin and push to form the shape of the pie tin. Press the dough evenly so the piecrust is a uniform thickness. You can roll it out as well, but I just find shaping it less time-consuming. Cut away any excess dough.
- Place the apple mixture in the piecrust and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Keep an eye on it after 40 minutes to make sure the crust isn’t burning.
- When you are cutting the apples, squeeze the lemon juice over them in the bowl to keep them from browning.
- Serve with vanilla coconut ice cream and garnish with fresh mint.