A Mug Cake Aimed at Breakfast
This sweet, special breakfast is from Mug Cakes, a whole book dedicated to these very easy and quick to make desserts. Also check out the Chocolate & Peanut Butter Mug Cake by author Mima Sinclair. Note her Tips about using frozen fruit to make this even easier – perfect for cold mornings.
Excerpted with permission from Mug Cakesby Mima Sinclair. Published my Kyle Books, 2014. Photos by Tara Fisher.
Earn yourself a few brownie points by treating your other half to breakfast in bed with this nut and fruit sensation.
Almond & Berry Breakfast Mug
Author: Mima Sinclair
Makes: 1 mug cake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 3 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed berries (eg. blueberries, raspberries &
- 2 teaspoons cold butter, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon self-raising flour
- ½ tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rolled oats
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon almonds, roughly chopped
- Place the butter in a 350ml mug and microwave for 10–20 seconds until melted.
- Add the egg, honey and sugar to the mug and beat with a fork until combined.
- Add the ground almonds, cinnamon, flour and salt and beat again until smooth. Fold through half the berries and then top with the remainder.
- To make the streusel, place all the ingredients in a small bowl and rub together with the tips of your fingers to bring together a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the streusel topping over the cake and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes 50 seconds @ 600W, 2 minutes 30 seconds @ 800W or 2 minutes 10 seconds @ 1000W.
- Leave to cool slightly, then serve.
- This is just as delicious without the streusel topping, so leave it out if you are running late! Or substitute frozen mixed berries. Just defrost slightly before using.
No comments yet.