Ancho chile pepper has a hint of cocoa flavor, making it an excellent partner for chocolate.
Melissa’s The Great Pepper Cookbook written by Melissa’s Team. Published by and images by Oxmoor House 2014.
The Devil’s Favorite Devil’s Food Cake
Author: Melissa's Produce
Makes: Makes about 16 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons espresso syrup or coffee extract or 2 teaspoons espresso coffee powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 fresh cayenne chile pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon salted water
- To make cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray; dust with flour. In a bowl, sift together sugar and next 4 ingredients (through salt); add milk, oil, espresso, and eggs. Using an electric mixer, mix on low speed 1 minute, then on medium speed 2 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring ¾ cup water to a boil. Drizzle boiling water into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make ganache, in a small saucepan, bring cream just to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in cayenne chile. Let sit at least 30 minutes; discard chile. Reheat cream to a simmer. Remove cream from heat; immediately add chocolate chips, stirring until just melted. Add butter; whisk until glossy and smooth. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Pour ganache evenly over cake (make sure top is completely covered). Chill in the refrigerator until ganache is firm, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 pieces. Serve.