Hello, Cupcake! by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson is a New York Times bestseller and one of the most creative and fun baking books around. This is their “corn on the cob” cupcake creation. April Fool’s!
Our corniest project ever! The ears are bursting with fresh summer flavor. But surprise: those kernels are jelly beans, the butter pats are fruit chews and the salt and pepper is black and white sugar.
Reprinted with permission from Hello, Cupcake! (Houghton Mifflin) by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. Photos by Alan Richardson.
- 24 vanilla cupcakes baked in white paper liners
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- About 3½ cups small jelly beans (Jelly Bellys) in assorted yellow, cream and white colors
- 4 pieces yellow fruit chews (Laffy Taffys, Starbursts)
- 1 tablespoon each black and white decorating sugars (available at baking-supply stores)
- 8 sets of corn holders (optional)
- Tint the vanilla frosting pale yellow with the food coloring.
- Working with 3 cupcakes at a time, spread yellow frosting on top of each. Arrange about 5 rows of jelly beans, close together, on each cupcake. Place the 3 cupcakes side by side on a corn dish or a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes, frosting and jelly beans.
- Cut the fruit chews into eight 1-inch squares, and soften the edges slightly by hand so that they look melted. Place 1 square on top of each group of 3 cupcakes. Sprinkle with the sugars. Insert 1 corn holder, if using, in each of the end cupcakes.